19 August 2010

Designer's Wish List - Home Office

Last fall, as I was planning my move from Tampa to San Diego, I shared my vision of my own future kitchen and bathroom spaces in a pair of Designer's Wish List postings. This edition will share my envisioned home office, hopefully to become a reality in the next few months. It will, most probably, occupy a den and serve as my writing and design studio, library and overflow guest room.

I already own some of its planned furnishings, including Cost Plus World Market's Cohen desk chair shown here.



I'll probably get a plain twill seat cushion to make it a little cushier for long design and writing sessions.

I also have a sextet of professionally-photographed family black and whites that will grace the room with new wood frames. And I plan on incorporating this 30" by 40" travel poster from AllPosters.com in a coordinating frame to keep the memories of a recent vacation fresh and visual.



It will adorn the wall directly opposite the entry door so that I smile each time I pass or enter the room, even if I'm just in there to pay bills or running out on an errand!

The space will likely have wide-plank dark wood flooring like these Virginia Mill Works 5" Yorktown handscraped prefinished floors from Lumber Liquidators...


And a cozy area rug as yet to be discovered that pulls from the poster's colors. I might even use the lovely wool rug that used to live under my dining room table. Change is good!

Ultimately, I'd like to have custom built-ins along one wall. They will incorporate a wide desk, as I use two computer monitors and like to have extra surface room; a base cabinet to hold and keep dust off of my computer tower; a two-drawer filing cabinet (to separate business from personal papers); side shelves for design books and decorative items, and space for a built-in beverage center.



While this Logan suite from Pottery Barn isn't custom or built-in, as the one I'll design for myself will be, it does convey the overall look and scale I'm seeking.

Lighting is key, and I'll incorporate task lighting into the work space and in the form of a bronze table lamp I already own next to a reading chair. This is Pottery Barn's Manhattan recliner that I'd love to have.


Or I might fulfill a long-held dream and get the classic Eames lounge chair and ottoman from Design Within Reach (or Craig's List!).



I'd like to have a ceiling fan like this Harbor Breeze 52" Tilghman Bronze model from Lowe's to keep fresh air flowing right along with fresh ideas!


The windows will be dressed in simple panels like these Casual Twill Drapes from Restoration Hardware, on a bronze rod to match the fan and table lamp.




I'm thinking of a muted pumpkin or gold for the walls that would pull color from the Key West poster.

All in all, I'm looking for a warm, bright, happy place to work, read and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Found Gold: Popular Posts from the Past!

Don't miss out on any gold -- subscribe by email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner