24 September 2009

Color Notes: Green Day

Welcome to the latest Color Notes posting. The purpose of this series is to share inspiring products and helpful ideas for the many hues you might want to incorporate into your home's design scheme. This posting covers one of my personal favorites - green. I've always incorporated green into my home. When I painted my open floor plan condo in LA that color, my brother said he felt like he was sitting in a bowl of guacamole. In my Florida home, our master bedroom is a soothing shade of green... and I have never felt like breaking open a bag of chips. (The green shown here is Benjamin Moore's Green with Envy.)


Why green?

Green is a cool, calming color that evokes images of nature. In fact, the very word "green" has come to mean natural and environmentally-friendly.

I love green in spa style baths and bedrooms, but it also works well in kitchens, offices and dining rooms. Green enhances most wood floors and cabinets - like leaves enhance a tree. In fact, as I recently shared in a Woman's Day interview, if colors work together in nature, they'll work together in your home. After all, there's no better designer than the Creator, is there?


Where not to go green

There aren't any rooms that couldn't go green, but if your purpose in a space is to create a mood of intensity and energy - perhaps an area where you home school - rather than calmness and relaxation, it wouldn't be your first choice.


I love green with...

White

Kitchy together here on Jonathan Adler's Bamboo wallpaper

Orange and Cream

United in pretty paisley on Pottery Barn's Brooks Chair

Pink


Glamming up a bed with Kenzie Bed Linens at Neiman Marcus


Dark brown

Pretty together on a paisley wallpaper by Candice Olson for Kravet

Navy

Circling a super-fun dog bowl by Jonathan Adler

Grey, yellow and blue

Pulled together on Pier 1's mod Abacus Chair

Red and tan

Elegant together on my own china pattern - Oberon by Wedgwood


Green scene

It was great fun finding cool green gear to share for this posting. (I have a collection of green pottery at home that I keep adding to.) Hope you enjoy these!


A piece of greenware I'd love to have in my collection:
Ephraim Faience's Seven-Handled Vase

Go retro with Noguchi's Free Form Sofa from Design Within Reach

Or old school with Anne Selke Home's Green Leather Chair at Neiman Marcus

Dress up your door with Anthropologie's Sly Fox Doorknocker

Delight your bath with these Celadon accessories at Pottery Barn

Create captivating countertops with Cambria's ethereal grey-green Hyde Park engineered stone, as I did in my client's master bath update

Divide and conquer with Pier 1's Plantation Floor Screen

Green your kitchen with KitchenAid's Artisan Stand Mixer in Lemongrass


2 comments:

Found Gold: Popular Posts from the Past!

Don't miss out on any gold -- subscribe by email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner