24 May 2011

Ode to Nola!

The last time I was in New Orleans was Memorial Day weekend of 2001. I got married on May 27 of that year in the Beauregard-Keyes House in the French Quarter. I loved that this historic residence was home to both a writer and a military man... Seemed perfect for us!

Much has happened to me and New Orleans since then. The city went through Hurricane Katrina and the BP oil spill. I went through two relocations, a career change and a divorce. My 10th wedding anniversary would have been this Friday. Thinking about that makes me a bit sad.

Thinking about Nola, though, makes me smile. It's one of my favorite cities in the world. My genealogist uncle says one of our historic relatives may have been a New Orleans area pirate. I find that possibility just a little thrilling.

I love the city's architecture, history, festivals, literature, music and food. I love the mighty Mississippi and hum "Old Man River" whenever I find myself crossing one of its bridges. I love Nola's stores, churches, squares and street life. (Where else can you find a voodoo shop a few steps from a prominent cathedral?) Mostly, I love its unzipped energy, its bonhomie, its endless spirit.

Here are a few Nola images for your viewing pleasure -- and mine. Laissez les bons temps rouler!



Sully Mansion in the Garden District
Photo Credit: Sully Mansion



Sazerac Bar
Photo Credit: Roosevelt Hotel



Jackson Square - The "horses" are really mules!
Photo Credit: Virtual Tourist



Brennan's - World's best Bananas Foster!
Photo Credit: Brennan's



Garden at Beauregard-Keyes House - Where our marriage ceremony took place
Photo Credit: Beauregard-Keyes House



Beauregard-Keyes House - French Quarter classic!
Photo Credit: Beauregard-Keyes House



Beauregard-Keyes House - Dining Room




Cafe Du Monde - Beignets to die for!
Photo Credit: Cafe Du Monde

No comments:

Post a Comment

Found Gold: Popular Posts from the Past!

Don't miss out on any gold -- subscribe by email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner